It’s better to correct a thing several times and finally deliver it with perfection, instead of wasting the hard earned resources on some petty decisions taken in a hurry that make us regret in the later on period. We know when you start a business all on your own you have loads of pressure and expectations to cater to, but my dear friend only the one who deals with this pressure with calm and composure will lead in a better way.
Coming to the problem where most Indian startups lack behind is the way they handle public relations as a function. It’s good to see that presently instead of experimenting with PR on their own, they are outsourcing it to the PR Agencies for Startups. But even while outsourcing them certain things will make you regret your decision of hiring a PR Agency for your Startup, and here is a list of such things:
1. They are not good story tellers: Yes, storytelling is the prime art in which PR professional need to be an expert in because for a story to make a long-time impact it needs to be told in a manner that attracts journalists almost instantly. Most of the PR persons lack behind in this art and often don’t reap much benefit to the startups even when they are providing them with numerous innovative points to highlight.
2. They are always blabbering about past clients: It’s good for PR persons to tell about their previous clients to get the prospective clients on board. But once on board, if these professionals are still blabbering about previous clients, instead of working on your project; then beware these people are good for nothing and will not reap you much media presence as claimed.
3. They are themselves considering them as experts: Yes, they are probably the experts in the art of storytelling, but this doesn’t mean they have to act as one when talking with their client. Instead of acting as an expert, they need to be curious and anxious in the getting-to-know phase to reflect the best possible characteristics of the client and his/her organization in the media stories.
4. They are credit-hungry all the time: Their work is to get you news coverage’s, profile stories and of course some sort of interviews as promised in the deal. But at times, it is seen that PR agencies fool the startups by banking on the re-printed version of news coverage. So, when dealing with any startup PR Agency, be extremely careful about not getting fooled with it, only pay for the ones that are original in every sense.
5. They are extremely expensive: You are a new comer in the industry and considering your infancy in the industry you are the most likely ones to get cheated in terms of money. There are certain companies in this extremely broad PR industry that will fool you around without you getting to know. So, instead of investing in these enterprises, take your time and do a rich research about the best players in the PR industry specializing in the genre you or your organization works in.
Now, after reading all these facts, you might be thinking PR isn’t good for startups. But it is unless and until you and your startup are appointing a reliable PR firm. The company will not only provide you with all that has been promised in the deal but will also design customized PR strategies for you and your startup that would reap in much more benefits than expected.